Menahan Street Band – Make the Road by Walking

I get so much music in the mail it is difficult to keep track of everything. Since I’ve been exposed to so much, it’s also easy to be unimpressed by the constant stream of mediocrity filling my mailbox.

When I got this one in the mail from Dunham/Daptone, it piqued my curiosity. The packaging was interesting and I dug the photograph selected for the cover art. Was I ever in for a surprise when I popped it into my CD deck. I was hooked after about a minute into the first song. When I learned it was an instrumental release, I was even more excited to pour over the whole record.

Guitars dripping with funk, great basslines, horns, on time drumming, keys… it has it all. Basically, if I had any music ability… this is the sort of record I would dream of doing. If you love dusty 45s… you certainly will dig a bunch of this album. Yes, I am gushing… it is that good.

Here is a legit and legal preview (courtesy of their PR folks at World’s Fair) of the title track Make the Road by Walking.

The album drops October 14th. Definitely buy a copy when it drops if you dig what you hear.

This entry was posted in Stuff I got in the mail, What I'm listening to. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Menahan Street Band – Make the Road by Walking

1. keepman says:

WOAH! that’s a great track…super chill music, loving it! I’ll have to keep an eye out for this when it drops. Thanks for the heads up Josh!

2. Josh says:

What’s fresh is that this isn’t probably in my top 5 favorite tracks on this album. Hope you get to check it out when it releases.

It’s ascended into my “work music” playlist. When I need to buckle down and get some junk done… I listen to stuff like this.

3. MANASSEH says:

Yo this is crazy fresh!
    I really dig it!

4. vancitykat says:

Dude, that’s the “Roc Boys” sample!!

5. taprecords says:

Cool stuff! I need to check out the full release when it drops. Thanks for the heads up!

6. EngLebuRt says:

Wow, that is pretty amazing stuff. I guess Jay-Z must of thought so as well.

Takes me back to ’96 during the hey day of Acid Jazz.