Getting Used To Infinity

The internet has made music fans lazy and complacent.

Bold statement? I think not.

Now that being able to find anything you want being just a quick Google search away, it’s taken away much of the mystique that once accompanied finding out about new music. It’s now more disposable, less cherished and not nearly as valued.

Less are content with less.

This entry was posted in General, Industry, Thing of the day. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Getting Used To Infinity

1. J-red says:

I’m currently reading “The Long Tail” by Chris Anderson which sheds some serious light on the current situation on the availability of product and the consumers response. If you haven’t peeped it, I’d recommend it.

I agree with you bro.

Hope all is well :)

2. Josh says:

Yeah… I’ve always wanted that as part of the process with records I work on knowing that having product available during the long run is smart.

3. meatbeef says:

very good thoughts…. i try to communicate that kind of thinking to me friends and i jsut get confused looks followed by a swift change of topic…

4. Josh says:

That’s too bad… although with younger cats like yourself I suspect it’s very common.

5. Killsforpie says:

Word. I’ve really been thinking about CDs as investments lately. If I remember that I have cash invested in the project, I’ll listen to it more and try to dig beneath the surface to really “get my money’s worth”. If I’m not looking for a quick “freshness” fix in a CD I’ll get a lot more out of it and I’m more willing to shell out the cash. I’m sitting here listening to my original version of ProPain. Fresh fresh stuff. If all I did was hop on the pop music bandwagon and listen to spoon fed radio stuff, I’d have moved on, forgotten about older gems (listened to Backbreakanomics last week), and downloaded the latest whatever. Even if you download the older stuff, what is it worth to you? What do you have invested in the CD? Nothing. It’s the sugar rush of the music industry.

6. Josh says:

Exactly… to some people music is “crack”… from one fix to another.

7. Danny says:

This may or may not be true, but I like to think of it as a good thing. It’s forced “truth” in music. For example, a teeny bopper can buy the Britney Spears single instead of the album aka she’s not forced to buy the album. For our scene, it forces those to make quality music.

8. Josh says:

Great point.

However, the amount of “crap” isn’t lessening any… I still get the same amount of absolutely JUNK in the mail… it’s just not profitable for people anymore ;) On the flip side, some really talented folks are struggling. That’s the unfortunate by product of it all.